Tuesday 27 December 2011

Vintage fabric score

I don't really know how old this fabric is, so if anyone can provide me with an accurate era/decade, feel free. My darling mother lives in a country town and works with a lot of craft groups involving little old ladies and gets to see all their interesting houses and possessions. Quite often they have bundles of fabric which they've kept for decades for no other reason than "just in case" (sound familiar?). A lot of it is donated to sales or collected by fortunate hoarders. This particular piece came from a woman in her 80s who has had it "since she and her sister were girls." This could mean anything from early teens to mid 20's, so I'm placing it at 1930 - 1940.


It's just under a meter wide, but it's over four meters in length! It's a printed cotton and rather stiff and crunchy; I'm hoping it might soften up a bit after I wash it but I doubt it. it's in pristine condition. It's certainly enough to make a dress but I really need to decide on a design worthy of the fabric. I don't usually wear such pink tones but this could be lots of fun.


I'm the wrong shape for 30s designs, so I don't know how retro I can go. With retro patterns I tend to skip straight from 1920s to 1950s because I generally find the '30s and '40s so revolting. And cotton doesn't really scream 1920s at me. Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what you do with it. It does my head in trying to match up eras. I love 30s and 40s but they just don't look so good on me.

    I have someone a 2012 Cute Overload calendar. :)

    ReplyDelete