Monday 12 November 2012

McCall's summer dress


I previously attempted this pattern about a year ago. You can see it in this very short post here.

Today I finished making view D, the purple version in the top left corner. The fabric is from Spotlight. Isn't it great? It's just printed but it really looks like the patches are sewn on.
 
 
 I don't know why I didn't like it before. It's easy to fit because it has a seam under the bust and at the waist.

Doris and I have the same bust measurement, but she's all back, whereas I'm all front. So she doesn't fill it out quite as well as I do.


The side back seams also help to get a perfect fit. I didn't have to make many adjustments with this. I added a seam allowance all around the midriff, and took a few inches off the skirt length. If I make it again I'll make the straps about an inch shorter.


I added a dart to the front of the straps. The straps are curved but I wanted more definition.


And pockets. 


Look, they work!


And here is the finished product.


Spanx ahoy! (You'd think I'd spot them while I'm so busy checking my own reflection.)


(I just like the way my hair turned out here.)




So I should have a few more summer dresses coming up over the next couple of months, and hopefully some more experimental items too.

The past 12 months I've been supporting my love, Jay, through gender transition (male to female). This month marks the end of the actual transition. It's been an emotional and mentally challenging year which is why I'm now taking a long break. I have TWO MONTHS holiday from work which is going to leave me with LOTS of lovely sewing (/sleeping/eating/reading) time at home...

I am very excited about it!

8 comments:

  1. I love the material, the gorgeous shape and your twirl is fantastic, my dear friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress. The print is absolutely adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the lines of, and fabric used on, this thoroughly darling dress. You must be reading my mind, because I was just thinking a week or two ago about how I'd love to find a 40s/50s or repro dress featuring patchwork, and here you went and the perfect example (definitively inspiring me to try and find one of my own).

    Thank you for sharing with us about Jay. You two sound like an amazing couple.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done - the dress is gorgeous, it fits well and the fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding me - that dress is GORGEOUS! I love every single thing about it - the fabric, the pockets, the straps, the twirly skirt... and you are KILLER in it!

    And BIG HUGS for you and Jay - I wish you much happiness and love.

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling, that frock is fabularse!!! Love the design (I might just have to pick that pattern up!) and I adore the fabric you've chosen-and what a brillant job you've made of it! You're really very good!!!
    Wow, you and Jay have had a hell of a year, I can't begin to imagine all that gender transistion entails! Thank goodness you've made it through intact as a couple and by jaysus you deserve a good relaxing break!
    Huge hugs and love to you both!XXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect dress for summer :-) So awesome!

    And a massive YAY for you and Jay reaching such a milestone. I'm sure you'll have an excellent recuperative break :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. you chose the perfect fun printed fabric for this pattern. love the result. wow!

    ReplyDelete