Over the past 3 years I have regularly pulled this fabric out of a plastic bag, looked at it, despaired, and put it away again. It's an insanely slippery satin which feels like silk and I knew it would be a complete pain to cut out and sew.
Last weekend, inspiration finally hit.
The pattern is Butterick 5152
The fabric is not exactly 1948-appropriate, but I think it works pretty well!1970's does 40's??
I didn't have quite enough fabric for the length, so I used some black lace for the yoke detail and for a band around the lower edge of the skirt. Apart from that I made no alterations.
These close up photos show the colour most accurately - it's quite a magenta/purple tone and not as pink as it looks in some of these photos.
I LOVE these sleeves. They're incredibly full and billow around like mad. They remind me of a wizard's cape/cloak.
The lace is stretchy and adds a lot of weight - perfect for twirling about and sweeping dramatically up and down the hallway (or anywhere really)
Oh! And my hair is purple! I spent two days bleaching the black out of it, dyeing it a permanent purple colour, banging my head against the wall because it didn't work, and then covering up the lot with Paintbox Purple Haze. Success!
My hair is now quite fluffy because of the bleach but I like being fluffy.