Thursday 17 December 2015

Butterick 6094 | Patterns by Gertie

Hello! It's only been 7 months since I wrote a blog post! This dress was kind of special so I thought it warranted a whole post rather than just throwing a heap of pictures up on Facebook.





This dress is really beautiful and easier to make than I thought it might be. I don't feel that it suits me very well, but I may try the pencil skirt version in the future and try adjusting the darts for a better fit around the bust.


The bust is rather squashy on me. The waist turned out too wide, so I came to the conclusion that it is better suited to a figure which has a smaller bust/waist ration than mine. I took the waist in by about an inch, but there wasn't much I could do about the bust. 

Even with a rather minimising bra, I feel a bit squashed. I may also try the other version with a slightly lower neckline.


Besides the fit issues, I love the style. It's very simple and the back detail makes it unique. I used a beautiful vintage floral fabric from Audrey Scarlett Vintage (Instagram link). The lining is Japanese silk. The back contrast is a cotton/silk blend.


The pattern includes a petticoat skirt which I left out. The dress is really summery and light (I used the lightest lining I had) and I didn't want to weigh it down or make it too hot with too many layers. I have a separate petticoat I can wear with it anyway if I want to fluff it out a bit.
 
 
I also left off the button detail on the back. Even with buttons that matched, it was too much with the print of the dress. I just put a small stitch on each side to stop it from flapping about.


Has anyone else made this dress? I had a lot of fun with it and would highly recommend giving it a go.


5 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! Such lovely fabric. Fecking sizing is ALWAYS an issue! I'm pretty much a 14 waist with a 16 bosom, all depending...
    I am putting this pattern on my list of "new" patterns to buy! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes I want to see this one on you! If you can figure out a good way to let the bust out please let me know. xx

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty dress, looks lovely on you and that fabric compliments your 'ink' so well ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous dress. That is such a classic, romantic floral print.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete